Monday, January 7, 2013

Mr. Donoghue's blog to students

     Hello to my students! I wanted you to see this blog before we start or class on the care of the heart transplant patient. I wanted to use this blog to tell you a little about myself. As part of my graduate program at Roberts Wesleyan, I was required to take a class on informatics in nursing. Before I took this class, I felt
 fairly confident in my computer savvy. My classmates and family always seemed to go me for assistance for things like embedding a video into a power point, working with the smart board etc. I consider myself fairly smart, so I figured what more can I learn in a class about informatics in nursing? I also used the power point for all my lectures. All of them. Sometimes I found myself reading from the power point word for word. My students hated it. Usually, the power point information was what was tested, so students were not motivated to read before class. It was comfortable, it's what we have always done, it's what everyone else does as well.
      Then I met Dr. Treshuk. She insisted that we NOT use power points. After that initial shock, she showed us several online options for use in the classroom or as a part of online learning. We learned about virtual realities, the use of smart phones, things like Jing and snagit, voki, and glogster, and of course setting up a unit of instruction in moodle. This list of online resources is not at all complete as you will see when we get into the classroom. There are so many resources available to teachers today that it seems ridiculous to use power points. It will require a bit more creativity on my part. It will also require more discussion time on your part in the classroom. That will mean you will need to read the material before you come to class. I hope to make this classroom time I have with you fun and informative, not a boring drudgery as it has been in the past.
     Check out those links I mentioned above. Let's get our creative and learn how to think critically. Please feel free to respond to this blog with any questions you may have. I am looking forward to meeting all of you.
Mr. Donoghue
   
   







No comments:

Post a Comment